So you’re wanting to sell your home, but know there are some parts of your house that need a little TLC? Well you’re in luck because we have some great quick fixes you can make to your home to incentivize potential buyers!
1. Power Outlets. Updating power outlets with USB ports will attract younger, more tech savvy buyers and it will also make your house feel more modern. Small updates like this one will signal to homebuyers that your house is well maintained and up-to-date.
2. Ceilings. Say buh-bye to those popcorn ceilings, which are often a deterrent to homebuyers. There are some helpful articles out there if you choose to do this yourself or you can always hire a professional.
3. Open Spaces. Removing half walls and exposed posts will make your home feel more open and spacious. Buyers today want as much space as possible and these structures can make a room feel small, divided or too crowded. With respect to space, buyers are also looking for optimal storage spaces. Associate Broker at CMK & Associates Real Estate, Christine Gerber, suggests that you “De-clutter and organize all of your cabinets and closets. This will help to show there is efficient storage space.”
4. Kitchen. One of the most coveted things in a home is a nice kitchen where people can see themselves cooking and entertaining guests. Swapping out old counters, changing an outdated backsplash or adding some new hardware on cabinets can help improve the overall look of your kitchen without breaking the bank.
5. Flooring. It is important to keep carpets and wood floors in good shape since this is usually the first part of a room that potential buyers check. Having your hardwood floors waxed or steam cleaning your carpets can be a quick and inexpensive way to add value to your home.
6. Bathroom. Minor fixes such as steam cleaning the existing grout or regrouting where needed can add a fresh and clean look to your bathroom.
7. Landscaping. Well maintained landscaping can help your home make a great first impression to potential homeowners. You could add color by planting blooming annuals and perennial plants or just keep things clean and simple by making sure the grass is mowed while removing all crab grass and dead plants.
8. Exterior. Refreshing the paint on both the exterior and interior of a home can be beneficial in a multitude of ways. It is important to paint exterior windows, gutters, trim and doors while removing any blemishes such as wood rot and fixing anything in need of repair. When selling a home, the exterior will be the first thing potential homeowners see so it is important to make a good first impression.
9. Interior. Painting the interior of your house lighter colors such as white or beige will help to bounce and reflect natural sunlight, leading to the use of less artificial light and the appearance of a more spacious room.
10. Garage. A neat, clean and spacious garage can be a huge selling point for any home. Be sure to power wash the floor, replace outdated cabinets and remove unnecessary items to maximize the available space.
These are just some of our favorite and quick home fixes, but connect with a CMK Realtor who can better assist you on maximizing your home’s selling potential today!